Friday, March 20, 2009

The Gist: Mar. 20

Welcome to The Gist, where I give you articles from the week's religious news that I found interesting and/or important, but couldn't fit into the radio show. Today I have two interesting links for you. Enjoy!

Plan Would Limit Prison Chapel Books:
the gist of the article is that there are people who want to ban religious texts form prisons because they might incite, promote, or otherwise suggest violence or criminal activity. I think they're right that religious book do all three of those things, without a shadow of a doubt. But I don't know if its wise to try and keep them out of the prisons. That might cause more problems than it hopes to solve.

Air Force Looks Into ‘Inspirational’ Video:

the gist of the article is is that a Colonel sent out a link, via e-mail, for an inspirational video with a Christian angle. People complained, saying they were offended, and now the Air Force is looking into whether or not the video was in violation of military neutrality. Based on what the Colonel said in their message, I don't think it was a violation. Participation in viewing the footage was purely anonymous and voluntary and carried no pressure, nor any threat of reprobation. I have no problem with it.

No comments: